A Look Inside ACMQ's Medical Quality 2019
Friday, December 14, 2018
Leaders and future innovators in medical quality management will meet at the Hyatt Regency in Bethesda, Maryland, April 12-13, for Medical Quality 2019, the annual conference of the American College of Medical Quality (ACMQ).
Over the course of two days, ACMQ quality experts and leaders from around the US including physicians, nurses, and other healthcare quality executives will get an in-depth look at the revealing studies and proven models that are making an impact on the delivery of quality care in the U.S. healthcare system.
The April 12-13 formal program will feature expert presentations on the following:
- Affordability as a Determinant to Access with Brian Gragnloti, President & CEO, Atlantic Health System and Chair-Elect of the American Hospital Association
- Reducing Health Disparities Through the Use of Population Quality Metrics with Dale Bratzler, DO, MPH, MACOI, FIDSA, Professor, Department of Health Administration and Policy Associate, Dean, College of Public Health, Professor, College of Medicine, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Chief Quality Officer, OU Physicians Group
- Minority Populations and Cultural Competency with Martine Hackett, PhD, MPH, Assistant Professor in the Master of Public Health and Community Health Programs, Hofstra University
- Focusing on Quality and Safety Disparities in Value-based Healthcare with Avadhoot Gokhale, Chief Quality Officer, Holyoke Medical Center
- Oregon Rural Practice Based Network with Bruce Goldberg, MD, senior Fellow, Center for Health Systems Effectiveness; Senior Associate Director, Oregon Rural Practice Based Research Network
- Childhood Obesity with David Fagan, MD, Vice Chairman, Pediatric Administration, Ambulatory General Pediatrics, Long Island Jewish Medical Center
- 10 Keys to Success in Innovation & Value-Based Care with Daniel Durand, MD, Chairman of Radiology, LifeBridge Health
- Update on Accountable Care Organizations with Thomas Kloos, MD, Vice President Atlantic Health System, President of the Atlantic ACO, and Executive Director, Atlantic MSO, and Daniel Durand, MD
The program will also feature ACMQ’s traditions of a two hour-long session of oral abstract presentations, a digital poster program, and the annual Quality Institute.
The oral sessions will be presented by authors of the top-ranked abstracts, with 10 minutes each for lecture followed by two minutes of question and answer. The digital poster program will showcase new research and innovative ideas from up-and-coming medical students, residents, and practicing physicians. Finally, the Quality Institute, one of the most popular sessions of the conference, will invite attendees to take part in an exciting and highly interactive session addressing a current hot topic in quality improvement, moderated by ACMQ President Don Casey, MD.
For those seeking even more in-depth training on medical quality management, ACMQ will also offer a two-part pre-conference workshop on quality improvement led by nationally recognized experts in the field the day prior on April 11.
As is ACMQ’s longstanding tradition, up to 10 medical student and resident “Quality Scholars” will have the opportunity to win a scholarship to attend the event, including free registration for MQ 2019, a $750 airfare stipend, and reduced fees to take the American Board of Medical Quality Certifying Medical Quality Exam.
ACMQ to again offer the Innovative “Coverage Based on Quality” Pre-Session, April 11, 2019
ACMQ has had a long-standing tradition of corporate sponsors for the ACMQ annual meeting. In order to continue to receive this support and potentially increase the number and amount of this support, the Board of Trustees approved a new approach in 2018 that would not only allow for support of the College, but also allow for the company sponsors to gain additional insight on Quality as it relates to their own products and services. To that end, we introduced a pre-conference event that we called “Coverage Based on Quality” (CBQ).
The CBQ event in 2018 was our initial trial of this new approach to our corporate sponsors. The program consisted of a panel of Medical Director experts in the field of Quality and evidence development, as well as experience in the coverage making process at health insurance plans, that the various sponsor companies could present their product to for feedback and dialogue about coverage of that product. The presentations consisted of a brief overview of their company, the product itself, the disease that was being addressed by the product, the quality of the published evidence concerning the product, and the quality of care resulting from the use of the product.
Each Diamond/Presenting level of support included these company presentations to the panel and the subsequent dialogue about the product and the likelihood of coverage by a payer based on the quality of the evidence presented. In 2018, there were 7 slots available for these roughly 30 minute presentations. And all 7 slots were filled and done on a first come, first served basis for picking their time-slot. Which, for a first time effort, was very encouraging. After the presentations and discussions, there was a more informal cocktail hour and a subsequent, invitation only, dinner with the sponsors, the executive committee, and Medical Director panelists. This additional time together allowed for further dialogue and opportunity for personalized networking and potential future contact and interface with the sponsors and the Medical Directors involved.
The feedback from this first event was overwhelmingly positive. So, we are planning to repeat the same pre-conference event, CBQ, again on April 11, 2019, just prior to the Annual ACMQ Medical Quality 2019 meeting, also to be held at the Hyatt Regency in Bethesda, MD. We will have another expert panel of Medical Directors, and the same number of 7 slots for sponsorship presentations, and the same post-event social hour and dinner. If we need to add more time and slots for additional sponsors, we will be thrilled to try to accommodate that possibility! We are looking forward to another successful CBQ event this year, and have already received early sponsor interest in the event.
We hope you will work with us to make this event a success again in 2019.
Joseph Jackson, CAE, Executive Director, ACMQ
Dan Westphal, MD, MBA, FCCP, FACMQ, CMQ, Member of the ACMQ Board of Trustees and Chair, MQ 2019 Scientific Subcommittee
Jim Cross, MD, Past President, ACMQ